Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sad News for Squee

Squee had her next check up and splint change, today, and we got some bad news from the vet.

A couple days ago, Squee had developed what I thought was a contact sore at the point where the top of her splint was rubbing against her leg. I cut the bit of cloth that was bugging her away, but she was licking and worrying the leg when, before, she didn't seem bothered by the splint. She also didn't seem to walk on it as much, and I thought it was just feeling tender from the sore.

Today, we learned that the sore hadn't formed from the splint rubbing, but was actually an internal sore that had opened outwards. The contact sore she had when we first took her in must have already been a little infected, because her entire front leg now has an infection, and we think it has damaged the nerves in her lower leg and foot. Unable to properly feel her foot, she's having a harder time using that leg to try and walk.

Squee is on antibiotics and pain medication to curb the infection, but now we're faced with a difficult choice. We can keep her on an extended course of antibiotics and, once the infection is dealt with, see if the nerves in her leg and foot will recover, but the prognosis isn't very good and the process will force Squee to continue to be in pain for some time as the leg hopefully heals.

Alternately, we can choose to amputate both front legs, now, remove the limb that's hurting her but give up on saving her stronger front leg. In that case, we'd get Squee a front-wheel cart so she should be able to tear around, but without the cart, she'll have much less mobility (though she does balance on her back legs well).

I'm going to take a couple days to weigh the options. As a human, I would want to try and save the damaged leg if it were me, but Squee isn't human. I can't explain to her why she's hurting and I can't ask her what she wants for herself. I do know a young dog is a resourceful dog, and I don't doubt that Squee could be happy on just two legs. I can't decide if the better thing for her is to try and fight for saving her leg or to stop, take away what hurts, and help Squee move forward into the next stage of her little life.

For now, she's on some strong pain meds and relaxing in the position she finds most comfortable.


Please keep Squee in your thoughts and continue to spread her story.

10 comments:

  1. I am praying for our sweet little Squee <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg...I am so sad about this...I love that baby....I am praying for squee right now...and asking st. francis, who loves the little animals to find a way to do what is best for the baby...so sad to see this picture.....I am praying....Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would suggest you contact Cheryl Petrochko (she is on facebook). She has a two legged dog. She can give you some insight if you are interested in that? Her dog Leggo was born with no front legs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kacey....I was going to recommend what Gina said as well, except Cheryl doesn't visit FB very often. I am going to send her your email so she can send you videos and the experience its been with Legolas.

    This news tears me up. Poor little Squee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for little Squee. Do both front legs need to be amputated? Is there a reason why the healthy leg can't be saved? I've known of dogs that can get around on 3 legs.
    One other suggestion...I don't know if you believe in this or not...taking Squee to someone who can do energy work, like Quantum Touch, Reiki...just may work. Pretty powerful stuff.
    Wishing you all the best with your decision. It's not easy, but whatever you decide, it's out of love and the best interest of Squee. It will all work out well for her. She's in good hands. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martina, of Squee's two front legs, one is tiny, folded over on itself and missing crucial bones. There's nothing we can do to help that leg, it's just going to be a "chicken wing" forever. The other leg was the one we were trying to save, as it was only somewhat bent. But now it is also badly infected and there is nerve damage in her foot and lower leg.

      Delete
  6. Poor Squee and Lily having issues too, it is just not fair the obstacles these two have had to deal with so far in their short young lives. Thank you to all that are helping them to conquer their challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry. I know so many were hopeful the one front leg could be saved, I'll pray for the best answer for you for Squee. My heart beaks for you to have to make this decision.

    ReplyDelete